Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do crabs hibernate?
10-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Do crabs hibernate?
Okay, I know crabs don't "hibernate" per se, but would a crab bury itself because Fall is approaching?  My medium-sized crab, Shorty, is usually fairly active. In mid-Sept in Maryland, it's still warm outside, but Shorty disappeared under the substrate and hasn't come up since.  He just finished his molt 2-1/2 months ago, so it's not that. I set up a new tank a few days ago and had to disturb him.....he explored his new surroundings a little, then buried himself again. I'm a night owl, and I haven't even seen him coming up to eat or drink! My other two crabs are active and seem quite content.

I've had Shorty for several years and he's always been active. Most winters ALL my crabs are less active, but I read that this is normal. 

Any ideas as to what is up with him?  I'm worried!  Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Re: Do crabs hibernate?
it maybe warm out side, but is your house getting cool inside, is the tank cooling to? this is why I got more uth's.  My crabs became lifeless & not moving, the house was becoming very cold and it was still warm out side! All because we have tons of shade trees around. We had to turn on the furnace it ook 3 hours to warm the house up and then they started to move around again.

If you have crabs, then you have crabitude!
10-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi Scoobdo.....I believe we had a week or so of cooler temps outside in Sept, but I don't remember it affecting my indoor temp much. Maybe it did and I don't remember. I know I didn't have to turn on the heat. In the crabitat I'm using the same heat lamp I've always used, so the temp inside the tank should be okay. (I removed the tank thermometer since the temp was always consistent). 

And the odd thing is that my other two crabs are super active! And when they nap, they lay on top of the substrate. If they were chilly, I would think they would bury themselves.

Hopefully Shorty will resurface when I get the UTH.  I'll leave the heat lamp on, too, put the thermometer back in the tank, and hope for the best.  Thanks for your input!
10-12-2011, 05:31 AM
my crabs never bury themselves, only when they molt. other than that it's sitting and snoozing in the shower caddy or on the corner rock. I do have a crab now that spends all his time down on the sand where before he was always up in the air, but I did take out all the climbing wood for a bit cause it had all those bugs on it & I didn't want to take a chance of them having any eggs on them & getting them back in the tank! He still has things to climb on though.
we just went through an indian summer & I had to unplug a uth it got to warm in the tank

If you have crabs, then you have crabitude!
10-12-2011, 12:17 PM
It's been my experience that they do hibernate to a certain extent.  Like Trixie once said, in the winter her tank turns into a "decorated tank-and not much else".  Same here...I may have a handful come out for dinner, but otherwise, crickets are chirping and tumbleweed is rolling.  :biglaugh: 
10-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Yes, Jellybean....I seem to recall asking someone on this site last winter if crab inactivity is normal during the cold weather months. I ordered the UTHs, so when they get here, I'm hoping that will help.  I don't like staring at "decorated tanks....and not much else".  Perfect description!

Thanks to everyone,

Donna M.